New News News
Julian Sanchez pithily summarizes “The New News Cycle” in far fewer words than I usually achieve.
David Roberts tweets: “Every ‘winger-driven faux story now has two phases. First headline: “Faux story!” Second: “Faux story becomes huge story!” Pathetic.”
This is actually a bit truncated. The steps are:
- Faux Story
- Why is the Em-Ess-Em ignoring this huge Faux Story?
- After days or weeks of flood-the-zone coverage across multiple conservative media outlets, some significant portion of the base is convinced that the faux story is true and/or significant.
- Mainstream press takes note of (3) and speculates about the political and electoral consequences
- Panicked Democrats react as though the faux story is true and/or significant
- See, we told you it was a huge story!
Lather, rinse, repeat.
I guess I should be aiming to keep it pithy, which is the aim of a really good writer. Maybe if I were a good writer, people would actually read this.